Dr. John T. Macdonald
Dr. John Tremper Macdonald was one of the founders of Doctors’ Hospital, which opened in Coral Gables in 1949. A well-respected gynecologist and surgeon who became a leader in aviation medicine, Dr. Macdonald established medical safeguard for World War II pilots and Pan American Airlines’ employees which became the model for the medical testing program currently used for flight pilots and crews for many airlines.
Upon his death in 1951, the Foundation was established in his memory and in subsequent years, came to own and operate Doctors’ Hospital as a non-profit hospital. In 1992 when the hospital was sold to HealthSouth Rehabilitation Corporation, the Foundation retained its name and used the proceeds from the sale to become a grant-making foundation.
In 2009, the Dr. John T. Macdonald Foundation established the Dr. John T. Macdonald & Dr. Harold Norman Nursing Scholarship in memory of Dr. Harold Norman, who was a former board member of the Foundation. The scholarship exists to assist Barry University College of Health Sciences nursing students earn degrees that will prepare them as leaders in advanced practice nursing to improve access to care.