Sister Judith Shield, O.P.
Sister Judith Shield, formerly known as Emolyn Shield, was born on September 29, 1917, in Chicago. She came to Barry University (then College) in 1970 when she joined the faculty as assistant professor of economics in what was then the Department of Business in the School of Arts and Sciences. Sister Shield also served as chairperson of the department. Sister Judith was instrumental in the creation of the School of Business in 1976. She became associate dean in 1984. During her tenure, she also served as the interim dean of the School of Business in 1982-83 and 1985-86.
Sister Shield stepped away from full-time teaching and administration in 1988 and received the distinguished honor of emerita status. She moved into Barry Villa in 1994, and for ten years volunteered her services to the University and in spiritual direction. In March 2004 the state of her health made it necessary for her to return to Adrian for good.
After her death in 2008, her friends, colleagues and former students established the Sister Judith Shield, O.P. Scholarship to honor Sr. Judith Shield, O.P., “Madre” of the Andreas School of Business and former Dean.