Ann Bishop Memorial Journalism Endowed Scholarship
The Ann Bishop Memorial Journalism Endowed Scholarship was established to honor Ann Bishop, one of the most respected television journalists in South Florida history. Among many honors she earned in her 25-year career, Ms. Bishop, a long-time friend of Barry, received an honorary doctorate from the university in 1997. Funds for this scholars are disbursed in the recipients’ junior or senior year.
Applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Be a full-time, third or fourth-year, undergraduate student at the University majoring in Broadcast Communication and/or minoring in Journalism in the Department of Communication, College of Arts and Sciences
- Have a 2.8 or greater cumulative GPA
- Submit two (2) recommendations, one of which must come from a Barry University professor
- Be an active participant with the Barry Buccaneer, TV production team, or WBRY, the campus radio station
- Submit an essay (up to 750 words) describing how applicant’s journalistic ideals closely mirror those of Ann Bishop, describing what mark applicant hopes to make in journalism, and how he/ she plans to accomplish that