Dr. Lloyd D. Elgart Memorial Endowed Scholarship
The Dr. Lloyd D. Elgart Memorial Endowed Scholarship, donated by friends and colleagues of Dr. Lloyd D Elgart, Dean, Professor and friend of Barry University is granted annually.
This scholarship is awarded to a student who has confronted challenges with courage or determination in the pursuit of their education. Although financial need and grades are taken into account, the predominant emphasis of this scholarship is on character. The scholarship is used to offset Barry Tuition for the next academic year. Funds for this scholarship are disbursed in the recipients’ junior or senior year.
Applicant must meet the following criteria:
- At the time of application, must be a full-time, undergraduate student in his/her sophomore or junior year at the University enrolled in the D. Inez Andreas School of Business or as an English major in the College of Arts and Sciences
- Have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 or greater
- Must provide a list of memberships in clubs, honor societies, and community groups, with relevant dates
- Must list awards, honors, and scholarships received with relevant dates
- Must list campus or community activities that may pertain to the criteria of this scholarship with relevant dates
- Must list work experience with relevant dates
- Must upload a current transcript, which may be downloaded from WebAdvisor
- Must request a letter of recommendation from a Barry faculty member, academic advisor, coach, or staff member who will address the criteria of this scholarship (Letter of recommendation must be submitted before the close of scholarship cycle)
- Must provide the name, formal title, and email address of the student’s reference
- Must submit an essay (1,000 – 2,000 words) entitled, “Getting an Education Has Not Been Easy”